eBook 201: eBook Production Intensive WEBcasts
An Intensive WEBcast series, presented by Digital Book World.
Spinning out of our introductory eBook 101: Designing for Kindle and ePub WEBcast, we’re excited to offer the following eBook 201: eBook Production Intensive WEBcast series, taught by Joshua Tallent, Founder/CEO, eBook Architects.
INSTRUCTOR: JOSHUA TALLENT
Joshua Tallent has been an eBook developer since 2002, and is an expert on formatting eBooks in the variety of formats on the market, including Kindle/Mobipocket and ePub. His book, Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide, has been praised as the most helpful and thorough explanation of formatting great-looking eBooks for the Amazon Kindle. eBook Architects, his eBook conversion and consulting business, provides services to individual authors and small publishers. Joshua lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife and two daughters.
An in-depth primer on how to convert and format books in the ePub format:
- Converting your file from its source (PDF, Word, InDesign, etc.) into XHTML
- Cleaning up the XHTML and get it into a workable form
- Breaking the XHTML content up for the ePub
- Creating the OPF, NCX, and other key files, and zipping up the contents properly
- Running ePubCheck, including explanations of common errors
- Testing your ePub
- Automation techniques, conversion programs, and WYSIWYG ePub editors
- Additional information on converting an ePub file into the Kindle format
An in-depth primer on how to convert and format books for Amazon’s Kindle format:
- Converting your file from its source (PDF, Word, InDesign, etc.) into HTML
- Cleaning up the HTML and get it into a workable form
- Styling the Kindle book, inlcuding tips on problematic formatting issues
- Information on formatting images, tables, sidebars, pull quotes, indexes, footnotes, and more
- Instructions on creating the Mobipocket file, including creating the NCX file for waypoint navigation and embedding the cover image
- Using Amazon’s Digital Text Platform (DTP)
A comprehensive overview and analysis of the current eBook formats, devices, and retailers:
- The most popular eBook formats, their pros and cons, and their usefulness in the market
- The most popular eBook devices, what formats they read, and how they are being used
- An overview of the primary eBook retailers and distributors
NOTE: On-Demand WEBcasts are available in n M4V (Mac) or WMV (Windows) formats.